AC Blowing Warm Air | AC Repair
Air Conditioning Repair | AC Blowing Warm Air
The air conditioning remains in use during overly warm fall days. When the AC breaks down during what may well be the last warm days of fall don’t panic. The cause may a simple one that you can correct yourself. You had planned to have a new unit installed next spring, and are reluctant to pay for air conditioning repair. After all, the money could go towards a new system. Try the following tips before calling for repair:
When the AC is blowing warm air, check out the following before calling for repair:
- First, check the fan setting. If the fan is sitting in the ON or RUN position rather than AUTO, the fan will run continuously, blowing warm air unless the compressor kicks on.
- Check the thermostat and ensure it is in the COOL position. Next, check the temperature of the room and the selected temperature. The selected temperature must be lower than the inside temperature reading for the AC to cut on. If the thermostat says the inside temperature is 84 degrees F; the air conditioner will not cut on with the thermostat set at 85 degrees or above.
- Check to ensure all air registers are open. Do not block registers or the air return. Ensure the area around them remains clear to allow proper air flow.
- Check the filter, a dirty filter can prevent airflow to the system, reducing its efficiency and can lead to overheating of the system and cause a breaker to be thrown. It can also cause dirty coils which can lead to a lack of cooling. On average, filters should be changed monthly unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer.
- Check the home electrical service panel; all circuit breakers should be in the ON position. If the AC breaker is off, flip the switch back to ON and check for AC operation.
- The condenser is the portion of the system located outside of the home. There should be a disconnect switch located near the unit in a box mounted nearby on the house. Ensure it is in the ON position. Listen for the fan running on the central unit. If ice is visible you will require air conditioning repair. For proper operation and to prevent potential damage, the condenser should not be blocked by vegetation or other objects.
- Split systems may have a breaker located inside the units air handler within the home. If applicable to the HVAC system in your home, ensure it’s in the ON position. Be cautious of wiring due to the risk of electrical shock. If ice is present on the refrigerant lines you will require a certified HVAC technician for repair.
- Tripped electrical breakers can be a cause of the AC blowing warm air. The loss of refrigerant is also potential cause of the AC blowing warm air.
Once you have provided these steps, if the AC is blowing warm air, it will require repair by a certified technician. Routine annual maintenance of the AC system, or bi-annual maintenance for heating and air conditioning systems during the spring and the fall, along with routine filter changes is the most effective action a homeowner can provide in preventing breakdowns.
When replacement seems to be your best option, Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning can assist you with financing available through Wells Fargo Financial.
Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning provides prompt and professional heating and air conditioning service. When the AC is blowing warm air call our certified HVAC professionals for air conditioning repair or installation. You can rely upon us for your comfort.