AC Repair Company | Katy, TX
Every major appliance in your Katy, TX home is essential to your everyday life, including your air conditioner. When summer arrives, and the temperature outside heats up, your air conditioner becomes one of your home’s most essential appliances because it keeps your house cool and comfortable.
Many people spend more time indoors during the summer to escape the heat, which is a perfect plan if your air conditioner is functioning correctly. If it’s not, staying comfortable will be impossible.
If your air conditioner is experiencing any of the following issues, it is best to call an AC repair company immediately.
#1 The Unit Is Producing Warm Air
The most obvious sign that you need to call an AC repair company is if the air conditioner in your home is producing warm air. This issue can occur if the thermostat isn’t set correctly; therefore, you should check the thermostat before calling a professional.
First, make sure the thermostat is set to the cooling mode. Next, check the fan setting. If it is set to “on,” the fan will continue running when the unit cycles, creating warm air, and it should be set to “auto.” Finally, check the temperature setting. It needs to be warmer in the house than the thermostat setting for the unit to produce cold air.
If the thermostat is set correctly, it is time to call an AC repair company. A few issues can cause the unit to produce warm air, and you will need an experienced HVAC tech to find the cause.
- Clogged or dirty air filter
- Dirty or frozen evaporator coils
- Low refrigerant
- Refrigerant leak
- The unit has reached the end of its lifespan
Your home won’t be cool until the air conditioner has been repaired; therefore, it is best to make the call immediately.
#2 Restricted Airflow
You should feel a strong rush of cold air from the vents when your air conditioner runs. If the airflow is poor, you should call an AC company.
Inadequate airflow can make it challenging for your home to reach the desired temperature, and the AC will have to work harder than necessary. Not only will the extra work increase your energy bills, but it can also decrease the lifespan of the unit.
A few issues can cause restricted airflow, and you will need an HVAC professional to find the cause.
- Clogged air ducts: Over time, dirt, dust, and other debris can clog the air ducts. Over five pounds of debris can accumulate in one year, restricting the airflow. Clogged ducts can also affect your home’s air quality because the debris will circulate in the air when the air conditioner runs.
- Damaged air ducts: The air ducts in your Katy, TX home allow the cool air to travel from the AC to the vents in your home. If the ducts are cracked or damaged, the cold air will escape before reaching the vents, resulting in poor airflow.
- Broken blower: The blower forces the cold air from the unit to the vents. The cold air won’t reach the vents if the blower isn’t working, causing inadequate airflow.
An AC repair company will send a tech to your home to figure out why the airflow is poor so that the necessary repair can be made.
#3 Strange Smells
The air conditioner in your Katy, TX home should produce clean, odorless air. If you smell something strange when the unit runs, you should call an AC repair company, and the smell can point the tech in the right direction.
- Mold: If you smell mold when the AC runs, there could be mold in the air ducts. The ducts are dark, and the humidity in your home can create moisture, which is the perfect recipe for mold. Mold in the air ducts can cause more problems than a foul smell. When the air conditioner runs, mold spores can circulate in the air, causing allergy symptoms, respiratory issues, skin rashes, and a weakened immune system.
If the HVAC finds any mold in the ducts, it can be eradicated with an antimicrobial fogger. If the ducts are free of mold, it could be in the air conditioner, which can be more challenging to eliminate, and you may need to replace the unit if the tech cannot reach the mold.
- Burning: If you smell something burning when your AC runs, you should turn it off immediately and call an AC repair company. The smell is likely due to a wiring or electrical issue, which could start an electrical fire that could quickly destroy your home.
Strange smells signify a serious issue and shouldn’t be ignored. It is best to call an AC repair company as soon as you notice the smell.
#4 Moisture or Fluid Pooling
Moisture on the floor or wall around the unit signifies a clogged or cracked condensate hose. This is a simple fix and should be repaired by an AC repair company right away to prevent water damage or mold growth.
Fluid pooling around the unit is an emergent issue and requires an immediate call to an AC repair company. The fluid is likely refrigerant leaking, affecting the unit’s ability to keep your home cool. In addition, refrigerant is toxic and could be harmful to your family’s health. If your air conditioner is relatively new, the HVAC tech can repair the problem and refill the refrigerant. If your unit is over ten years old and has a refrigerant leak, you may need to replace the unit.
Older units run on R-22 refrigerant, which was banned in the U.S. on January 1, 2020, because it is highly toxic and harmful to the environment. The tech can repair the unit, but they won’t have R-22 to refill it with.
Why Choose Mr. Reliable Heating & Air?
If your air conditioner needs to be repaired and you want to work with the best AC repair company around, call Mr. Reliable Heating & Air. We are a full-service HVAC company, serving customers in the area for years. Our techs are professionally trained and qualified to handle any HVAC problem you have. If you have an HVAC issue that can’t wait or it occurs when we aren’t in the office, don’t panic. We provide emergency service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and will do our best to get a tech to your home as quickly as possible.
To schedule an appointment for heating or air conditioning service, give us a call or book online.
Photo By fstop123 at istock