AC Repair in Katy, TX – Should I Replace the Compressor?
The right choice for you, concerning replacement, depends on the situation. The compressor is the major part in your outside unit called the condensing unit. If your compressor is still under warranty, replace only the compressor. If the compressor is no longer under warranty, we would recommend replacing the outside unit if one or more of the circumstances also applies:
- Money is really short right now and you’re not sure it’ll be better anytime soon
- The compressor is still under warranty so you’ll only have to pay for labor to fix it
- No other major components have failed on your AC heat pump
- The inside unit or furnace was recently replaced
When to replace the condensing unit and indoor coil
Your AC or heat pump is a system consisting of the outdoor condensing unit and an indoor coil that is housed inside of your furnace or air handler. Replacing just the outdoor unit and not this coil is like only replacing the engine on an old car. It’ll run again, but you won’t get all the benefits of a brand new car.
Although it’s more expensive to replace the condensing unit and indoor coil, doing so gets you:
- A new warranty – Most manufacturers will only warranty a system if you replace all the parts; both the inside and outside units.
- Lower combined installation costs – If you replace the outside unit now and the inside unit later, you’ll have to pay for installation twice. And the combined total is often more in installation than you’d pay to have both installed now.
- Improved energy efficiency – A new outdoor unit with an old indoor unit won’t be able to give you the same energy efficiency of a completely new system.
- Rebates – Manufacturers’ rebates typically only apply if you replace both the indoor coil and outdoor unit. So only replacing the outdoor unit now means you might pay more in the long run.
- Less expensive and better refrigerant – Old air conditioners have to use R-22 refrigerant, which is being phased out. Since there are limits on the supply of R-22, the prices continue to rise. It’s also bad for the environment. Replacing your indoor coil lets you upgrade to the better 410a refrigerant.
If you really want to think ahead and do what’s best long-term, you can replace everything. This includes:
- The condensing unit
- The evaporator coil
- The indoor fan unit
Even if your air handler or furnace is working fine now, replacing it at the same time you replace your air conditioning system can make sense. You’ll get all the benefits of replacing the condensing unit and evaporator coil, plus:
- The best energy efficiency – New air handlers/furnaces offer technology, like variable-speed fans that can save you up to 75% on your AC costs.
- The quietest operation – When installed correctly, these variable-speed fans can also be up to 10 times quieter than a standard fan.
- More rebates and better pricing – Many manufacturers offer additional rebates when you replace your entire home comfort system at the same time. You won’t get the same deal if you upgrade separately.
- Better humidity control – Variable-speed fans can offer up to 4 times better dehumidification. And in the midst of a Texas summer, that can make a huge difference in your comfort.
- Matched technology. Without a matched furnace or air handler, you may not be able to take advantage of all the features of new technology.
About Cypress Heating and Air
Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning has been helping homeowners and businesses alike in Katy, Texas and surrounding areas for many years with AC Repair in Katy, TX. We are one of the leading heating and air companies in the area. Dedication, determination and professional services that you can rely on have helped made us the go to source for customers in the area who are in need of heating and cooling repairs, installations and maintenance. When you contact Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning in Katy, Texas you can rest assured knowing that you are receiving high quality professional AC Repair in Katy, TX that is both reliable and affordable.
We Service all Major Brands. If you are considering a new air conditioning system for your home or you have a problem with an existing system, we have over 20 years of experience in the installation and servicing of indoor comfort systems. We always handle even the most complex installations and repairs with meticulous attention to detail and professionalism. Whether you need a unit replaced, a new one installed, or an existing one repaired, you have our promise that you will be satisfied with all of our services. We help with custom design and installation services for your homes heating and ac system and provide detailed information such as energy calculations for your new project and efficiency information if your replacing a current central heating and ac system.
Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning in Katy, Texas is a leader in the HVAC field servicing Katy, Plano, and surrounding areas. Our NATE certified technicians provide professional HVAC related services, installation and repairs. If you are looking for help with your home or business’ HVAC system and need AC Repair in Katy, TX do not hesitate to give us a call today. One of our professional technicians will be more than happy to assist you and schedule a service call AC Repair in Katy, TX at your earliest convenience. Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning is a proud member of the BBB and maintains a rock solid A+ rating.