AC Tips | AC Repair Katy
The following tips address issues not routinely covered in AC tips:
- 1. While the outside air conditioning unit is designed to sit outdoors, windblown debris, children, pets, and rocks or sticks thrown by the lawnmower onto the unit can cause damage and/or compression of the fins. The result is the loss of cooling efficiency. A fin comb, and patience will straighten the fins out, or contact a Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning technician to provide this AC repair in Katy for you.
- 2. Lightning strikes, power surges, and other causes of electrical outages can burn out the air conditioner, your appliances’ and electronics. Whole House surge protection can provide protection for your AC unit, appliances, and sensitive electronic equipment. If you suspect your air conditioning has sustained damage from a storm, or power surges, turn the unit off, and call a Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning technician for AC repair in Katy.
- 3. Homeowner’s often ask whether the doors of unused rooms should be closed or open. The answer depends upon whether the doors are undercut, and if the amount is adequate. Closing the door seals off the room from the airflow, and with cold air entering the room from registers, over time the pressure will build up inside the room. As the pressure builds, cold air will find an outlet through cracks and crevices. Once cold air leaks outside the home, an equal amount of outside air is drawn into the home.
Air will seek the easiest path into the home, and this may be flues and chimneys. This may result in dangerous carbon monoxide being drawn into the home. In addition, incoming outdoor air forces the air conditioner, to work against the incoming air. The result is a loss of energy efficiency, discomfort in the closed room with reduced airflow from the registers, increased energy bills, and unnecessary wear on the system resulting in the increased frequency of AC repair in Katy. Leaving the doors open is effective in preventing unwanted drafts.
Unfortunately, leaving the doors open all of the time is not feasible, especially in bedrooms. An alternative is to undercut the doors, allowing space for air to move through the room. The recommended amount should be determined by your HVAC technician.
- 4. Are you receiving all of the efficiency you expected from your new system? A number of homeowners actually will save 25% to 50% on the utility bill after installing a new system. Unfortunately, buying a high efficient air conditioner is not a guarantee that you will. The problem is not the system; it is the installer or the duct system in your home. Recent research indicates a number of homeowners are only receiving half of the heating or cooling they are capable of.
- 5. According to the EPA, “…newly installed heating and cooling systems that are under or over-sized, improperly charged, or connected to a poorly designed and installed duct system will not deliver the rated efficiency.”
This means your HVAC system may be undersized, or oversized for your home; the duct system may have design flaws, or is in need of sealing and/or repair; and the new system may be improperly installed.
Unfortunately, a number of homeowners believe a bigger system is better. An oversized system will result in an uncomfortable home, uneven room temperatures, increased humidity, higher energy costs. In addition, it can result in premature wear, and an increased frequency of heating and AC repair in Katy.
If the previous appropriately sized 3-ton unit failed from the start to cool your home, consider necessary duct repairs, which can account for a loss of up to 40% of conditioned air. Furthermore, bringing insulation up to code, and sealing air leaks in the home will save energy, increase your comfort, and reduce the size system required, which will also save you money.
Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning offers expert technicians who provide professional installation, heating and AC repair in Katy, maintenance, and other HVAC services. We hope you found these AC Tips informative. When you need AC repair in Katy that you can rely upon, give us a call. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.