AC Tips | Heating and Air Conditioning
This summer appears to be gearing up as a hot one, and as the temperature rises, energy bills are climbing as well. The following AC tips can assist you in lowering your costs of cooling, while maintaining your comfort with your heating and air conditioning system.
- If your AC condenser, heat pump, or window unit is in the shade it will operate with approximately 10 % greater efficiency, saving you money on energy costs. However, if you construct a shelter over the outdoor component, it will require ample clearance to prevent damage due to restricted airflow.
- A general rule of thumb requires a minimum of 48 inches, or 4 feet of clearance above the unit. In addition, the outdoor unit requires a minimum of 2 feet between it, shrubs, walls, and other condensers to ensure adequate airflow. Failure to provide the minimal will result in a reduced compressor lifespan. Your Cypress HVAC technician is the best source for information regarding adequate clearance for your air conditioning.
- When cutting grass, position the mower so the discharge chute does not discharge directly on the outdoor unit. In addition, seal the perimeter of window units thoroughly to prevent the cold air from escaping, and heat from entering.
- Changing/cleaning the filter once a month is a simple, and effective means of maintaining energy efficiency and reliability of the heating and air conditioning system. A dirty filter can increase the systems energy use by as much as 15 %, and can cause damage to the system as it struggles for ample airflow. Select a routine day each month to change or clean the filter (depending upon the type).
- A programmable thermostat can reduce your energy bill by as much as 20 %. With a programmable thermostat, you can program it to suit your schedule, and never worry that you will forget to adjust it when you leave. When you are home, set the thermostat to 78 degrees. It will maintain your comfort, and save additional money.
- A ceiling fan in occupied rooms will enable you to feel comfortable, though it does not change the actual room temperature. A ceiling fan cools you, not the room.
- A dehumidifier installed in the heating and air conditioning system will remove excess humidity on days when the humidity levels are higher than the HVAC system can handle. Humidity causes you to feel hotter than the actual temperature indicates.
- Purchase an Energy Star approved heating and air conditioning system to save on the cost of energy. An energy star system can save you as much as 20% on the cost of energy. Select a model with a variable speed fan and multi stage compressor.
- Routine maintenance will ensure the air conditioning system performs optimally for the greatest efficiency, and performance possible.
- Leaking ductwork can account for as much as 25 percent of your home’s cooling costs. Have a professional inspect your ducts and seal leaks.
- Use a qualified HVAC contractor for installation. Improperly sized units and a poor installation can reduce the systems performance, efficiency, and lifespan. Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning’s professionals will ensure the proper size, and the optimal performance with options available for your budget.
We hope you found our AC tips helpful. Contact Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning to schedule service for problems with your heating and air conditioning system. Our technicians can diagnose the problem, and provide the repair that you need to restore your air conditioning comfort. Our certified HVAC technicians are trained, and experienced in providing professional quality installations and AC repair in Plano. We guarantee your satisfaction, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.