AC Troubleshooting | Air Conditioning Repair Plano, TX
The hot, humid conditions of summer in the southern U. S. would be unbearable for most of us, if not for air conditioning. It not only provides us with a comfortable environment, but reduces humidity and helps to clean the air. High humidity makes it feel hotter than it actually is, and it can make it harder for those with heart and respiratory problems to breathe comfortably. For these and other chronically ill persons, air conditioning can mean the difference between life and death. When it breaks down, the need for air conditioning repair in Plano, TX becomes a potentially life threatening emergency for them. The following AC troubleshooting tips may prevent the need to contact your HVAC technician:
- Check the thermostat and ensure it is in the COOL position, and the temperature is set lower than the inside temperature readout. If the inside temperature is less than the set temperature, the air conditioner will not cut on to cool. Check the fan switch and ensure it is on AUTO. If the fan is set to ON, turn it back to AUTO. The ON function causes the fan to run whether or not the compressor is pumping. Being set to ON rather than AUTO may explain why the ac is blowing warm air part of the time. With the fan on auto and the thermostat set to cool, turn the temperature down to see if cooling occurs.
- Next, check the air registers to ensure they are all open. Don’t block registers or the air return, and keep the area around them clear.
- Ensure the air conditioning system is receiving power. Open the home’s electrical panel. All of the circuit breakers should be in the ON position. Your air conditioner breaker panel should be labeled. If it is off, flip it to the ON position and check the system for operation.
- If the air conditioner continues to not operate, check the condenser, which is the outside portion of the central air conditioning system. There will be a disconnect switch typically located near the unit in a gray box mounted nearby. This switch is a common cause of central air conditioning to shut off. If you are unable to locate the switch, Cypress’s certified HVAC technicians can assist you when you need air conditioning repair in Plano, TX.
Other Causes of Common AC Problems
- Being low on refrigerant can be the cause of the ac blowing warm air. The coil and other components can freeze over when the refrigerant is low. When frost is visible indoors or on the refrigerant lines outdoors, it is a sign your unit has a leak and has lost coolant. This will require a technician for air conditioning repair in Plano, TX. In addition, a leak can result in the failure of the compressor, a component that is very costly to replace. Some leaks are fairly easy to locate, while others require leak detection services to locate the leak and provide air conditioning repair in Plano, TX.
- Compressor failure can occur due to age, failure of other components causing compressor damage, refrigerant leaks, lightning and other causes. Air conditioning repair in Plano, TX will be very costly due to the expense of a compressor. Compressor failure is the reason many homeowner’s replace the system.
Providing annual service can prevent these and other common problems, while extending the system’s lifespan and increase its reliability.
If these tips fail to restore your air conditioning operation call Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning’s dedicated technicians for air conditioning repair in Plano, TX. Remember to schedule a pre-season tune-up if you haven’t already. Annual service and routine filter changes are the best means of preventing breakdowns.
If you still have a problem after providing AC troubleshooting, contact us to schedule air conditioning repair. We offer tune-ups, maintenance and repairs to keep your air conditioning system operating at optimally, and provide emergency service 24 hours a day and 7 days a week for your convenience. Cypress’s certified professionals are always there for you when you require air conditioning repair in Plano, TX. We serve Katy, Plano and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.