If you get your air conditioner tuned up every year and it stops functioning correctly, you should schedule an appointment for air conditioner repair. DIY repairs aren’t recommended because your system is complex. If you don’t have professional HVAC training, you could do more damage when attempting a DIY repair. In addition, the problem could be due to one of a few different problems, and you will need a professional to find the cause.
If the air conditioner in your Katy, TX home experiences any of the following problems, it’s best to call an air conditioner repair service.
#1 Moisture Or Fluid Pooling Around the Unit
The area around your air conditioner should be dry. If you notice moisture on the walls or floor around the unit, you should call a professional in air conditioner repair. The moisture is likely due to a loose or cracked condensate hose, which is a relatively inexpensive and straightforward fix. Ignoring the problem can result in water damage and mold growth in the area; therefore, you could call an air conditioner repair service immediately.
If you see bright green or yellow fluid pooling around the unit, you have a serious problem and should call a professional in AC repair as soon as you see the fluid. The air conditioner in your Katy, TX home relies on refrigerant to produce cold air. Fluid pooling around the unit indicates a refrigerant leak, preventing the system from producing cold air.
If your air conditioner is under ten years old, a professional in air conditioner repair can fix the leak and refill the refrigerant. If your system is older than ten years old, you have a serious problem. Older units use R-22 refrigerant, which isn’t available anymore. Production slowed down significantly when the Environmental Protection Agency announced that R-22 is highly toxic and harmful to the ozone layer. On January 1, 2020, the U.S. government banned the production and sale of R-22 refrigerant. An HVAC tech can fix the leak, but they won’t have refrigerant to refill the system, and it will need to be replaced.
#2 Strange Smells
The air conditioner in your Katy, TX home should produce clean, odorless air. If you smell something strange in the house when the air conditioner runs, you should call an air conditioner repair service right away. Strange smells indicate a serious problem that should be fixed immediately, and the odor can help the HVAC tech figure out what’s wrong.
- Burning: If you smell something burning when the air conditioner runs, you should immediately turn it off and schedule an emergency air conditioner repair appointment. The burning smell indicates an electrical or wiring issue that can start an electrical fire if you ignore the problem. An electrical fire can quickly destroy your house; therefore, you should call an AC repair service right away. The tech can inspect the wiring to find the problem to make the necessary repair. You can start using the air conditioner again when the issue is resolved.
- Mold: A moldy smell indicates mold growth in the air ducts or the air conditioner, which can be hazardous to your family’s health.
The air ducts in your home are dark and hidden. When your home is humid, condensation will form in the ducts, and there will be no light to dry the ducts, creating the perfect environment for mold growth. When the air conditioner runs, mold spores will circulate in the air and can make your family sick. According to the CDC, exposure to mold can cause the following health problems.
- Allergy symptoms (sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes, etc.)
- Respiratory issues
- Chronic headaches
- Skin rashes
- A weakened immune system makes it more difficult for your family to fight off disease or infection.
- If a member of your family suffers from a chronic lung or respiratory condition, mold exposure can make them sicker.
An air conditioner repair service can send a tech to your home to inspect the air ducts for mold, which can be eradicated with an antimicrobial fogger. The fogger will also prevent future mold growth. If the air ducts are clean, there could be mold in the air conditioner, which is harder to eliminate. If the tech can’t reach every spore, you will need to replace your air conditioner.
Since mold growth can make your family sick, it’s best to call an expert in air conditioner repair.
#3 Poor Airflow
The air conditioner in your Katy, TX home produces cold air that is forced through the air ducts to the vents in every room of the house. If you don’t feel a powerful rush of cold air when you stand near a vent, you should call an air conditioning repair service.
Poor airflow will affect your home’s temperature, and your air conditioner will have to work harder to keep your home cool and comfortable. This will draw more energy than necessary, and your electric bills will increase considerably. Extra work will put unnecessary strain on the air conditioner, reducing its lifespan, and you will have to replace it sooner.
A few problems can cause poor airflow, and you will need a professional in air conditioner repair to find the cause.
- Damaged air ducts: The air ducts allow the cold air to travel from the unit to the vents in your home. If the air ducts are damaged, or the seal fails, you won’t see the damage, and the treated air will escape from the damaged area, causing poor airflow. An AC repair service can send a tech to your home to inspect the air ducts for damage and make the repair.
- Clogged air ducts: Over time, dirt, dust, and other debris can accumulate in the air ducts regardless of how clean you keep your home. The debris will continue accumulating and can clog the air ducts, restricting the airflow. Clogged air ducts can also affect your home’s air quality. When the unit runs, the debris will circulate in the air and can cause allergy symptoms. Fortunately, an expert in air conditioner repair can clean the air ducts, restoring adequate airflow. You can prevent clogged air ducts by having a duct cleaning service performed every three to five years, which will benefit your home and family.
- Broken blower: Your air conditioner has a blower that forces the cold air from the unit through the air ducts and the vents. If the blower isn’t working, the air won’t reach the vents, resulting in minimal airflow. If you call an air conditioner repair service, they will send a tech to repair or replace the blower, restoring the airflow from the vents.
Poor airflow causes can affect your home and family considerably; therefore, you should schedule an appointment for air conditioner repair right away.
#4 The Unit Is Producing Warm Air
The air conditioner in your Katy, TX home is designed to produce cold air to keep your home cool and comfortable. If the unit starts producing warm air, you may need to call an expert in air conditioner repair.
Before making the call, check the thermostat settings. If it isn’t set correctly, you will feel warm air coming from the vents. First, make sure the thermostat is set to the cooling mode. Next, make sure the fan is set to auto. If the fan is on, it will keep running when the system cycles, producing warm air. Finally, the air conditioner won’t kick on unless it’s warmer in the house than the temperature on the thermostat.
Another common problem is a dirty or clogged air filter. AC manufacturers recommend changing the filter every 90 days. If you have allergies or pets, you should replace the filter every 45 days. If you neglect to change the filter, the air won’t move through the system, causing the unit to overheat and produce warm air. Fortunately, replacing the air filter will solve the problem.
If the thermostat is set correctly, the air filter has been replaced, and the unit is still producing warm air, it’s time to schedule an appointment for air conditioner repair. A few issues can prevent the air conditioner from producing warm air, and you will need an HVAC tech to find the cause.
- Frozen evaporator coils: The unit’s evaporator coils extract hot air from your home to begin the cooling process. If the coils are frozen, they can’t do their job, interrupting the cooling process.
An expert in AC repair can thaw the coils and figure out why they froze in the first place to prevent it from happening again.
- Refrigerant leak: As mentioned earlier, your air conditioner relies on refrigerant to produce cold air. If the unit leaks refrigerant, there won’t be enough left for the unit to produce cold air. An air conditioner repair service can send a tech to fix the unit so it can produce cold air.
#5 Strange Noises
The air conditioner in your Katy, TX home is designed to run quietly. A low-level clicking sound when the unit cycles is normal; however, any other strange sounds require a call to an AC repair service.
Banging and clanging sounds indicate loose or broken parts in the unit. These sounds can also occur if the indoor or outdoor fan is broken or clogged with debris. A hissing sound indicates a refrigerant leak, and if you hear a high-pitched screaming sound, you should immediately turn off the air conditioner. This sound indicates high pressure in the system, and if you allow it to continue running, the high pressure can cause irreparable damage.
Ignoring strange sounds can cause more damage to the unit; therefore, it’s best to schedule an appointment for air conditioner repair as soon as the unit starts making strange sounds.
Why Choose Mr. Reliable Heating & Air?
If your air conditioner isn’t doing its job and you want to work with the best air conditioner repair service around, call Mr. Reliable Heating & Air. We are a full-service HVAC company serving Katy, TX customers with honesty, respect, and understanding.
Our HVAC techs are professionally trained, highly skilled, and qualified to install, maintain and repair all HVAC models. We also require our techs to take ongoing education classes and attend seminars to ensure they can work on the latest HVAC technology.
We understand that most of our customers live on budgets, so we do our best to make our services as affordable as possible. We also have money-saving specials and coupons on our website to reduce the cost of parts, maintenance, repairs, and other services.
Your comfort is our top priority. If you have an issue with your HVAC system that can’t wait, we provide emergency service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We will get a tech to your home as quickly as possible to fix the problem, so your home will be comfortable again quickly.
Thanks to our techs’ excellent service, we have an excellent reputation in the community. We are an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau and have a 5-star rating on Google. In addition, we are a featured pro on Porch.
To schedule an appointment for air conditioner repair or any other HVAC service, give us a call today or book online at https://www.callmrreliable.com/schedule-appointment/.
Photo By bymuratdeniz at istock