AC Blowing Warm Air
Troubleshooting Heating and Air Conditioning
CoolingAir conditioning makes our lives so much more comfortable and it is difficult to imagine our lives without it. It cools our homes and offices, reduces humidity and helps to clean the air if the proper air filter is used. Humidity not only makes it feel hotter, it makes it harder for those with respiratory and cardiac problems to breathe. Air conditioning is a life saver, literally, for many who suffer from health problems such as asthma, allergies and many other respiratory problems and heart conditions. When it breaks down most of us never even consider that repair is an option, but consider it a necessity. Before calling for air conditioning repair in Katy or the surrounding areas, there are a few things you should try:
- First, make sure your thermostat is set to the COOL position and that the set temperature is lower than the inside temperature display. For example, if the thermostat says your inside temperature is 70 degrees F; your air conditioner will not cut on if you have the thermostat set at 71 degrees or above.
- Next, check your air registers and make sure they are all open. Never block registers or the air return. Keep the area around them clear to allow proper air flow.
- Check to ensure that your system is receiving power. Open your electrical panel; all circuit breakers should be in the ON position.
- On the outside portion of your central air conditioning unit there will be a disconnect switch. It is usually located near the unit in a grey box mounted nearby on the house. Check it to ensure it is in the on position. Also ensure air flow is not blocked with plant growth or other objects. While you are outside at the central unit listen for the fan running.
- Check filter, a dirty filter can cause high pressure on the compressor reducing its efficiency and cooling by reducing air flow, and can lead to compressor failure over time.
Heating In cold climates heating is an essential for life as well as our comfort. When it fails it usually means our home becomes uncomfortable very quickly. Use the following checklist to check your furnace before calling an HVAC technician:
- First, check to make sure your thermostat is set to HEAT and that the room temperature is lower than the temperature it is set on. For example, if your thermostat is set to 65 and your indoor temperature is 70, the heat will not cut on until the indoor temperature reaches 64 unless you adjust the temperature.
- Check registers and make sure they are open. Never block registers with clutter, furniture or drapes. Always keep the area around the air return clear.
- Turn the furnace fan to the ON position. If it runs there is power is going to the furnace. If it doesn’t run it may not be.
- Open your electrical panel; ensure that all circuit breakers are in the ON position. If these tips fail to restore heat call our certified technicians for service to your furnace.
Keep in mind regular maintenance spring and fall and changing your filters are the most effective action you can take in preventing breakdowns.
Service agreements are available to keep your heating and cooling system at peak performance and maximum energy efficiency and helps to prevent breakdowns.
Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning cares about your comfort and provides prompt and professional heating and air conditioning service each and every time. When your AC is blowing warm air or your furnace isn’t heating at all, call Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning professionals, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year to keep you comfortable.