Duct Leaks | Air Conditioning Repair Katy
If you have noticed strange earthy or musty odors emanating from the registers in your home, air that is not as cold as it should be, or perhaps less air flow from the registers than is normal, the ductwork may be leaking. Before you schedule air conditioning repair in Katy, inspect for duct leaks.
Signs of Leaking Ductwork
- If your home’s ductwork is loose, you may hear a rattle, or clanking.
- Reduced airflow occurs due to escaping air from damaged or loose ducts, broken seals, or separating duct. The air will feel warmer, because unconditioned air is being drawn in, and mixed with conditioned air. When a duct separates, you may have normal cold air in one part of the home, but no air at all in the area beyond the duct separation. Our technicians have the expertise to provide your duct repair, and expert air conditioning repair in Katy.
- Air emanating from one or more registers smells stale, musty, or earthy. Stale air from the basement or crawlspace may be drawn through loose ductwork causing unusual odors.
- An unexplained increase in the electric bill may indicate duct issues.
Air leakage from ducts can result in as much as a 30% loss of conditioned air, increased energy costs, and reduced comfort, and may cause problems resulting in air conditioning repair in Katy. Some ductwork issues can be a simple repair if the duct is accessible. Repair of broken or loose seals on the duct joints is as simple as removing the old sealant and applying new metal tape firmly to the surface. Ensure dust and dirt is removed, and the surface dry before applying.
The location of ductwork may affect your ability to provide even the simple task of inspecting the ducts. Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning’s certified, and experienced technicians can inspect your ductwork, and provide the necessary duct repair.
To inspect the ductwork yourself in a crawlspace or attic, wear long pants, long sleeves, gloves, and shoes such as athletic shoes or boots. Furthermore, wear gloves and safety goggles.
- Look for loose connections or separated ducts. If you are able to reconnect loose or separated ducts, tape them with metal tape to secure the connection. You may also use screws, and then seal the joints with the tape. If the duct is damaged or will not remain secure, contact Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning for duct repair.
- Flex duct is vulnerable to damage from the local wildlife, especially when located in a crawlspace. Repair will depend upon the extent of the damage.
The Danger of Leaking Ducts
Leaking ducts pose the potential danger of allowing cancer causing radon gas to enter into your home. This problem is so widespread that the Environmental Protection Agency attributes duct leakage as a major contributor to lung cancer and other respiratory illnesses. Do not place your family at risk. Contact Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning for duct repair, and/or air conditioning repair in Katy.
When you find extensive damage, or you are not able or comfortable to crawl around a crawlspace, or enter an exceedingly hot attic, contact Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning for repair of duct leaks . We offer 24-hour emergency services, and certified technicians with expertise for air conditioning repair in Katy. We serve Katy, Plano and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating..