If your furnace shuts down try the following tips before calling for repair. The fix is often a simple one and can save you the cost of a service call. So when your heat quits, check out the following furnace troubleshooting tips before calling Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning to schedule heating and AC repair in Katy:
Check the Filter
Dirty filters cause problems for the HVAC system, and in some systems a clogged filter can trigger a safety switch that shuts the furnace down before damage (and a fire) can be caused. Check the filter and replace it if needed. A dirty filter contains dust, pet dander, lint and other debris. These materials block the airflow through the filter causing the system to struggle for air, and potentially overheat, triggering any safety switch to shut down. When a clogged filter is the cause, replacement will solve the problem. Change the filter monthly and ideally check it every two weeks. Don’t forget to schedule annual maintenance for your system, maintenance is the life’s blood for your system and assists in preventing excessive heating and AC repair in Katy.
Other issues may cause the furnace to shut down. A blower or a switch may fail, for example. A fan failure means the fan does not run to deliver warm air throughout the home, whereas the failure of other components may also result in failure of the furnace to run. When components fail a technician will be required to provide heating and AC repair in Katy.
Thermostat problems is also a common cause of the system to fail to run. Use the following as a checklist for your thermostat:
- Check the thermostat settings, and ensure the switch is on ‘Heat’ and not ‘Cool’ or ‘Off’.
- Is the low battery warning flashing? Try changing the batteries. In addition, dead batteries may result in the loss of programming, and a system that won’t run. Try the override function.
- Check the temperature, and raise the temp above the displayed room temperature. If the furnace will then operate the problem is solved. If not, continue your inspection.
- Check the programming of a programmable thermostat, if the time is off, the system will run when programmed to run. Your thermostat should have an override function allowing you to bypass the settings and the system to run. If it doesn’t run with override continue to the next step.
- Thermostats will eventually require replacement, you will need to contact your HVAC technician for this service. Give us a call today to schedule heating and AC repair in Katy.
Circuit Breakers and Shutoff Switches
First, check the furnace breaker. If it’s off push it to the On position, and if the system isn’t running at this point raise the thermostat above the set temperature. If the system still won’t run, look for shutoff switches. They may be on the furnace or a nearby wall. Reset them and check for operation.
Check the Gas Supply
A gas furnace will shut off when the gas supply is interrupted. Check the pilot and ensure it is lit. If not, relight it according to the manufacturers instructions. If the pilot lights but continually goes off contact your technician for repair. However, if the pilot won’t light, before calling a technician, check with your gas supplier. The gas may be off in your area for repairs. If not, contact a Cypress technician for heating and AC repair in Katy.
A clogged or damaged ventilation pipe can trigger furnaces with safety switches to shut off if the flue is blocked. If your furnace ventilation pipe wasn’t inspected before being put in use for the winter, contact your technician. However, if you are in a location that has received accumulative snow or ice, check to ensure the pipe hasn’t been blocked by the frozen precipitation. If you need flue or ventilation pipe repair contact Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning for heating and AC repair in Katy.
If these furnace troubleshootng tips fail to get your furnace back up and running, contact Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning to schedule heating and AC repair in Katy. In addition, our NATE certified technicians offer 24 hour emergency furnace repair for your convenience. Our technicians have the expertise and experience to provide repair and maintenance to most major brands, and provide service you can rely on. Furthermore, if you require furnace replacement contact us today. Our skilled technicians serve Katy, Plano and the surrounding areas. Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.