Heating and Air Conditioning – Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Heating and Air Conditioning – Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

One of the greatest dangers in homes nationwide is carbon monoxide poisoning. One of the best ways to preventing the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning is by installed carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home. CO poisoning is a possible danger in any home that utilizes appliances that use fossil fuels, such as, water heaters, stoves and gas furnaces, a component of a heating and air conditioning system being the most common.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is potentially fatal and is caused when someone breaths in excessive amounts of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas, making it very hard to detect without the assistance of a device such as a carbon monoxide detector. Whenever there is an excess of Co in the air around you, it will diminish your body’s ability to absorb oxygen, leading to serious tissue damage and the possibility of death if exposed to it for too long.

Carbon monoxide is produce by appliances that use fossil fuels. The furnace for a heating and air conditioning system that utilizes gas is an example of one. Gas, propane and wood are commonly used fossil fuels in homes. The danger is made possible whenever excessive amounts of carbon monoxide accumulate in a poorly ventilated area or due to a faulty appliance. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a life-threatening medical emergency. Immediate medical care is required for anyone who may have been exposed to excessive amounts of carbon monoxide.


Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include:

  • Blurred vision

  • Chest pain

  • Confusion

  • Dizziness

  • Headache

  • Loss of consciousness

  • Nausea

  • Shortness of breath

  • Vomiting

  • Weakness

The Causes of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

CO poisoning is brought about when someone inhales combustion fumes. Whenever there is too much carbon monoxide in the air around you that you breathe in, your body replaces the oxygen in your red blood cells with carbon monoxide instead. This will prevent oxygen from reaching tissues and organs throughout your body.

A gas fueled furnace can be a source of carbon monoxide gas in a home. Due to aging and wear and tear of the heating and air conditioning system, a furnace can break down due to corrosion which will cause holes and cracks to occur in the gas burner. The end result will be the escape of dangerous carbon monoxide and the possibility of an explosion. Annual service for the heating and air conditioning system will identify problems and provide the opportunity for the furnace to be repaired or replaced before it is put into use each winter.

Appliances like gas fueled hot water heaters, the home’s gas furnace, gas cook stoves, wood heaters and even fireplaces should receive maintenance at least once per year and idealistically before winter begins to ensure that they are in working order and safe to operate. Outdoor appliances such as a charcoal grill, camp stoves and heaters should never be used within indoor spaces. Additionally, if you have a garage, open the garage door before you start your automobile in order to allow for carbon monoxide the ability to escape. The fumes from the vehicle can enter cracks and crevices of your home. Also, you should always use the vent hood whenever you cook with a gas powered stove so that carbon monoxide can be vented outside of your home.

Receiving Medical Treatment

If you or someone else in your household is showing signs of symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, get into fresh air immediately and then call 911. You should leave the doors open on your way out of your home. In the ER, the doctor might order a blood sample to test for carbon monoxide in your bloodstream. The treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning is as follows:

  • Administration of oxygen – In the emergency room, you may be given a respirator in order to breathe in pure oxygen. This will help oxygen reach your organs and tissues much faster. If you are not able to breathe on your own, a ventilator may be issued do the breathing for you until you are able to improve and breathe on your own.

  • A pressurized oxygen chamber – In some scenarios, hyperbaric oxygen therapy inside of a full-body pressurized chamber is recommended where the air pressure is more than twice as high as normal atmospheric pressure. This speeds the removal of carbon monoxide out of your body as oxygen is replaced into your bloodstream. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy can be used in cases where severe carbon monoxide poisoning is present. It may be recommended for pregnant women due to the increased possibility of damage or even death to unborn babies from carbon monoxide poisoning.

About Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning

Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning has been helping homeowners and businesses alike in Katy, Texas and surrounding areas for many years with heating and air conditioning. We are one of the leading heating and air companies in the area. Dedication, determination and professional services that you can rely on have helped made us the go to source for customers in the area who are in need of heating and cooling repairs, installations and maintenance.  When you contact Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning in Katy, Texas you can rest assured knowing that you are receiving high quality professional heating and air conditioning that is both reliable and affordable.

Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning in Katy, Texas is a leader in the HVAC field servicing Katy, Plano, and surrounding areas. Our NATE certified technicians provide professional HVAC related services, installation and repairs. If you are looking for help with your home or business’ HVAC system and need heating and air conditioning do not hesitate to give us a call today. One of our professional technicians will be more than happy to assist you and schedule a service call heating and air conditioning at your earliest convenience. Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning is a proud member of the BBB and maintains a rock solid A+ rating.