When spring ends, and summer begins, the air conditioner in your Cypress, TX home becomes your most essential appliance. Many people spend more time indoors to escape the heat outside, which is a perfect plan if your air conditioner is functioning correctly.
Your air conditioner is designed to produce cold air to keep your home at a comfortable temperature and remove the humidity in your home. If the unit isn’t doing its job, it will be impossible to stay cool and comfortable in your home, and you will need to call an AC repair company.
Your air conditioner is a very complex appliance; therefore, DIY repairs aren’t recommended. It takes formal training, knowledge, and experience to fix the problem correctly. If you make one simple mistake while attempting to repair the problem yourself, you could end up doing more damage.
If the air conditioner in your Cypress, TX home is experiencing any of the following problems, it is best to call an AC repair company right away. The longer you wait, the longer it will be until your home is cool and comfortable again.
#1 The Unit Produces Warm Air
The most obvious sign that you need to call an AC repair company is if your air conditioner produces warm air. This issue can occur if the thermostat isn’t set correctly; therefore, you should check the settings before making the call.
First, make sure the thermostat is set to the cooling mode. If it isn’t, the heater will turn on, and you will feel warm air coming from the vents. Next, check the fan setting. If the fan is set to the “on” position, it will continue running when the unit cycles, and you will feel warm air coming from the vents. For the unit to produce cold air all the time, the fan should be set to “auto.” Finally, check the temperature setting. It needs to be warmer in the house than the temperature on the thermostat for the system to produce cold air.
If the thermostat is set correctly, it is time to call an AC repair company. Several issues can cause the unit to produce warm air, and you will need an HVAC professional to find the source of the problem.
The possible problems include:
- Faulty thermostat: If the thermostat in your Cypress, TX home isn’t working correctly, the air conditioner won’t get the proper signals and could produce warm air.
- Dirty or clogged air filters: If it has been a while since you last replaced the unit’s air filters, they will be dirty or clogged, and the air won’t move through the system the way it should. This can put excess strain on the air conditioner, causing it to produce warm air instead of cold.
- Frozen evaporator coils: Your air conditioner’s evaporator coils are essential in the cooling process. The evaporator coils are designed to extract the warm air from the home, which starts the cooling process. This process can produce condensation, which can collect on the evaporator coils causing them to freeze. When the coils freeze, it will prevent the heat transfer, causing the unit to produce warm air.
- Refrigerant leak: The air conditioner in your home relies on refrigerant to produce cold air. If the refrigerant is leaking, the air conditioner won’t have the proper charge to complete the cooling process, producing warm air.
- Lack of Electricity to the outdoor unit: The indoor and outdoor units work together to keep your home cool and comfortable. If the outdoor unit’s power supply is interrupted, the indoor unit cannot work alone, and you will feel warm air from the vents.
An AC company can inspect the unit to figure out why it is producing warm air so that the problem can be resolved.
#2 Reduced Airflow
Adequate airflow from the vents in your Cypress, TX home is necessary for keeping the home cool and comfortable. If the airflow is weak, you should call an AC repair company right away. Reduced airflow can cause more than temperature problems. Reduced airflow will cause your air conditioner to work overtime, increasing your energy bills. In addition, the extra work will put added strain on the unit, decreasing its maximum lifespan.
A few issues can cause poor airflow, and you will need an AC repair company to find the cause.
The potential problems include:
- Clogged air ducts: Regardless of how often you clean your home, over time, dust, dirt, and debris can clog the air ducts, restricting the airflow. Clogged ducts can also affect your home’s air quality. When your AC is on, the dirt and other debris in the ducts will circulate in the air, which can cause allergy symptoms. Fortunately, an AC repair company can clean the air ducts, improving the airflow while keeping your family healthy.
- Damaged air ducts: The air ducts in your home run from the air conditioner to the vents in every room in the house, keeping the entire home cool. If there is a break or crack in the ducts, the cold air will escape before reaching the vents, resulting in poor airflow.
- Faulty blower: The air conditioner’s blower is designed to force the cold air from the unit to the vents. If the blower isn’t working correctly, the cold air won’t reach the vents.
An AC repair company can send a tech to your home to figure out why the airflow is reduced, and they can make the necessary repair.
#3 Strange Sounds
The air conditioner in your Cypress, TX home should be relatively quiet when it runs. It is normal to hear a low-level clicking sound when the unit cycles; however, any other sounds indicate a problem that an AC repair company should check. The sound the unit makes can help the tech determine the cause of the problem.
- Banging: Banging sounds indicate a loose or broken part. This sound can also occur if the indoor blower is unbalanced, or it could be time to replace the compressor.
- Buzzing: A buzzing sound can be complicated because many issues can cause this sound. Loose parts, debris in the indoor or outdoor unit, or a faulty or out-of-balance blower can all cause this sound. The issue could also be with the outdoor blower, and it is loose or ready to fail. Finally, a refrigerant leak can cause a buzzing sound.
- Squealing: This sound often indicates an issue with the outdoor fan motor or the indoor blower motor.
- High-pitched squealing: This sound indicates high pressure in the air conditioner, which is very dangerous. If your unit makes this sound, you should turn it off immediately and call an AC repair company. You shouldn’t turn the AC back on until an HVAC tech fixes the problem.
Strange sounds coming from the air conditioner are more than a nuisance and indicate a serious problem. If you don’t call an AC repair service right away, the situation can escalate, causing further problems.
#4 Strange Smells
The cold air produced by the air conditioner in your Cypress, TX home should be clean and odorless. If you smell something strange when the unit runs, you should call an AC repair company immediately. The smell coming from the unit can help the tech find the cause of the smell.
- Mold: A moldy smell could be due to mold in the air ducts. The ducts are hidden behind the walls, under the floors, and above the ceiling, and the light doesn’t reach the ducts. If your home is humid, moisture can form in the air ducts. Darkness and mold is the perfect environment for mold growth, which is a serious health issue.
When your air conditioner runs, the mold in the ducts can circulate in the air your family breathes. According to the CDC, breathing in mold can cause allergy symptoms, skin rashes, respiratory issues, and a weakened immune system. If someone in your home has a chronic lung or respiratory disease, breathing in mold can worsen the condition and the symptoms.
An AC repair company can send a tech to inspect the ducts for mold. If they find any, it can be eradicated with an antimicrobial fogger. The mold could be in the air conditioner if the ducts are clean, which is more challenging to eliminate. If they can reach all the mold, you may need to replace the air conditioner.
- Burning: If you smell something burning when your air conditioner runs, you should turn it off immediately and call an AC repair company. The burning smell indicates an electrical issue that could spark an electrical fire, potentially destroying your home.
Ignoring strange smells can have severe consequences; therefore, you should call an AC repair company as soon as you notice the smell.
#5 Moisture or Fluid Pooling Around the Unit
The area around your indoor air conditioning unit should be dry. If you notice moisture on the walls, floors, or unit, it often indicates a clogged or broken condensate hose. Although this is a relatively simple fix, you should call an AC repair company right away to prevent water damage and mold growth around the unit.
Fluid pooling around the unit could indicate a refrigerant leak, interrupting the cooling process. Without adequate refrigerant, the unit will produce warm air and should be repaired immediately.
If the air conditioner in your Cypress, TX home is relatively new, the HVAC tech can repair the leak and refill the refrigerant. However, things will be more complicated if you have an older unit.
Older units use R-22 refrigerant to create cold air. The Environmental Protection Agency deemed R-22 highly toxic and harmful to the environment, and on January 1, 2020, the government banned the production of R-22 in the United States. The HVAC tech can repair the leak; however, they won’t have R-22 refrigerant to refill the unit; therefore, you will need to replace the air conditioner.
#6 Broken Thermostat
The thermostat is your air conditioner’s brain, and if it’s broken, the air conditioner won’t get the appropriate signals when you adjust the thermostat. There are a few ways to tell if your thermostat is broken, including:
- The thermostat doesn’t light up even after replacing the batteries.
- The thermostat is unresponsive.
- The unit cycles on and off more frequently than it should.
- The temperature in the house doesn’t match the setting on the thermostat.
If you suspect the thermostat is broken, you should call an AC repair company. An HVAC tech can inspect the thermostat to determine if it can be repaired or if a replacement is the best option.
If the tech believes a replacement is best, you have several options. Thermostat technology has evolved over the last several years, and programmable thermostats aren’t the only type available that can save money on your energy bills.
Wi-Fi thermostats can be controlled using your cell phone from anywhere in the world, as long as you have an internet connection. When you can turn the unit on and off and adjust the temperature when you aren’t home, you can save money on your energy bills.
Smart thermostats work with Google Home or Amazon Alexa, and you can control the thermostat using the sound of your voice. When you aren’t home, you can use the smart device’s app on your cell phone to control the thermostat.
An AC repair company can send an HVAC tech can discuss your options, helping you choose the best thermostat for your family’s needs.
Why Choose Mr. Reliable Heating & Air?
If your air conditioner isn’t working correctly and you need to call an AC repair company, call Mr. Reliable Heating & Air. We are a full-service HVAC company, serving customers in the area for years.
Our techs are professionally trained, NATE certified and can handle any AC repair, regardless of how complex the problem is. If you have an issue that can’t wait, our AC repair company provides emergency service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We have an excellent reputation in the community and are an Accredited Business with the Better Business Bureau. In addition, we have a 5-star rating on Google.
To schedule an appointment for HVAC service, give us a call or book online with Mr. Reliable Heating & Air.
Photo By Andrey_Popov at Shutterstock