Six Air Conditioning Issues That Should Only Be Fixed By An AC Repair Company | Spring, TX
Your Spring, TX home is where you should feel the most comfortable. When the summer temperature reaches 90 degrees or above, you rely significantly on your air conditioner to keep your home cool and comfortable. The last thing any homeowner wants is their air conditioner to break down in the middle of summer when they need it the most. The best way to prevent a complete air conditioner breakdown is by recognizing the early signs that it’s time to call an AC repair company.
If you suspect there is an issue with your air conditioner, DIY repairs aren’t recommended. Your home’s air conditioning system is very complex and has many moving parts; therefore, it’s easy to make mistakes during the repair process. Even a minor mistake can cause the unit to shut down completely, and it will cost more for an HVAC tech to repair the problem and your error.
If your air conditioner experiences any of the following issues, it’s best to call an AC repair company right away.
#1 Faulty Thermostat
The thermostat in your Spring, TX home is your HVAC system’s brain, and it sends your commands to the unit to keep your home comfortable. If the thermostat isn’t working correctly, the HVAC system won’t get your commands, and your home won’t remain cool and comfortable.
There are a few signs to let you know that your thermostat is faulty.
- The thermostat doesn’t light up, even after changing the batteries.
- The thermostat is unresponsive.
- The air conditioner cycles too frequently.
- The air conditioner shuts down on its own.
- The temperature in the house doesn’t match the temperature setting on the thermostat.
An AC repair company can send a tech to your home to inspect the thermostat. If the tech feels it’s time to replace your existing thermostat, you don’t have to install the same programmable thermostat. Over the last few years, thermostat technology has improved, and programmable thermostats aren’t the only money-saving option today.
Wi-Fi thermostats are very popular today. You don’t have to take time programming this thermostat, and you can control it using your cellphone from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection. This allows you to turn the system down when nobody is home, and you can turn the system up before you get home, so the house will be cool when you get there.
Smart thermostats are also popular today, and they work with smart devices, such as Amazon Alexa and Google Home. You can control the thermostat using the sound of your voice when you are home, and you can use the smart device’s app on your cellphone to control the thermostat.
An AC repair company can discuss your options and the benefits of each to help you make the best decision.
#2 The AC Is Producing Warm Air
On a hot summer day, you expect the air conditioner in your home to produce cold air. If you feel warm air coming from the vents in your Spring, TX home, it may be time to call an AC repair company.
User error is a common cause of this problem, and you should check the thermostat setting before making the call.
First, make sure the thermostat is set to the cooling mode. If it’s not, the unit won’t produce cold air. Next, make sure the fan is set to “auto.” lf the fan is on all the time, it will continue running between cycles, and you will feel warm air coming from the vents. Finally, check the temperature setting. It has to be warmer in the house than the setting on the thermostat for the system to produce cold air.
If the thermostat is set correctly and the unit continues to produce warm air, it’s time to call an AC repair company. Several issues can cause this problem, and you will need a licensed HVAC tech to figure out which of the following issues is preventing the unit from producing cold air.
- Clogged or dirty air filter: HVAC manufacturers recommend changing the air filter every 90 days. If someone in your home has allergies or you have pets, its best to change the filter every 45 days. If you neglect to change the air filter, air won’t move through the system like it should, causing the unit to overheat and produce warm air. If you aren’t sure if the filter is the problem or don’t know how to change it, an AC repair company can help.
- Frozen evaporator coils: Your air conditioner contains evaporator coils that pull the warm air from your home to begin the cooling process. If condensation forms on coils, they will freeze and can’t do their job. An AC repair company can send a tech to your home to thaw the coils and figure out why they froze so they can prevent it from happening again.
- Condenser issues: The indoor unit and the outdoor condenser work together to produce cold air. If there is no power going to the condenser or it fails, the unit won’t produce cold air. An AC repair company can send a tech to your home to inspect the condenser so the problem can be resolved and your air conditioner will start producing cold air again.
- Refrigerant leak: Your air conditioner requires refrigerant to produce cold air. If the unit leaks refrigerant, there won’t be enough in the unit, and you will feel warm air coming from the vents. An AC repair company can repair the leak and refill the refrigerant.
- Damaged air ducts: Damaged air ducts will allow the heat from outside into the ducts, causing the unit to produce warm air. An AC repair company can repair the damaged ducts, keeping the hot air outside.
The sooner you call an AC repair company, the sooner your home will be cool and comfortable again.
#3 Poor Airflow
If you stand in front of the vents in your Spring, TX home and feel minimal airflow, you should call an AC repair service as quickly as possible.
Poor airflow will make it challenging for your home to reach the desired temperature, causing the air conditioner to work overtime. When the unit works harder than it should, your energy bills will increase considerably. When the unit works harder than it should, its maximum lifespan will decrease, and you will need to spend thousands of dollars to replace the unit sooner.
A few issues can cause poor airflow, and you will need an AC repair company to determine the cause.
- Damaged air ducts: The air ducts in your home are designed to deliver treated air to every vent in your home. The air ducts are hidden; therefore, you can’t tell if they are damaged. If the ducts are damaged, the cool air will escape from the damaged area before reaching the vents, causing restricted airflow. Fortunately, an AC repair company can send a tech to your home to repair the ducts, restoring proper airflow.
- Clogged air ducts: Dirt, dust, and other debris can build up inside the air ducts. In just one year, up to five pounds of debris can accumulate in the ducts, restricting the airflow. In addition, when the HVAC system runs, the debris will circulate in the air, affecting your home’s air quality.
An HVAC tech can clean the air ducts, restore airflow, and improve the air quality in your home, keeping your family healthy.
- Faulty blower: Your air conditioner has a blower designed to force the cold air through the air ducts to the vents located throughout your home. If the blower motor fails, the air won’t be forced to the vents, resulting in minimal airflow.
Because restricted airflow affects your home’s temperature and can cost you money, its best to call an AC repair company as soon as the problem starts.
#4 Strange Smells
The air conditioner in your Spring, TX home should produce odorless air. If you smell something strange when the unit runs, you should schedule with an AC repair company. Foul smells indicate issues that could put your home and family at risk; therefore, you should make the call right away. The smell coming from the unit can help the HVAC tech determine the cause of the problem.
- Burning: A burning smell indicates an electrical or wiring issue. These issues can spark an electrical fire that can destroy your home quickly. An HVAC tech can inspect the wiring and the unit’s electrical system to find the cause of the problem so that the necessary repair can be made.
- Mold: A moldy smell often indicates mold in the air ducts. When the AC runs, mold spores will circulate in the air your family breathes, putting their health at significant risk. Mold exposure can cause several health issues, such as allergy symptoms, chronic headaches, respiratory problems, skin rashes, and a weakened immune system, making it challenging for your body to fight off disease and infection.
An AC company can send a tech to your home to inspect the ducts for mold. If they find any, it can be eradicated with an antimicrobial fogger and can prevent future mold growth. If there is no mold in the ducts, it could be in the air conditioner, which is more challenging to eradicate. If the mold cannot be removed, you will need to replace the air conditioner.
#5 Strange Sounds
The air conditioner in your Spring, TX home should be relatively quiet when it runs. The most you will hear is a faint clicking sound when the unit cycles.
If your unit makes any other sounds, you should call an AC repair company. Strange sounds indicate loose or broken parts, debris caught in the outdoor fan, problems with the condenser, and various other issues that can cause more damage if the problem is ignored.
An HVAC tech can inspect the air conditioning system to find the problem so it can be repaired before further damage occurs.
The area around your air conditioning system should be dry, and moisture or fluid pooling around the unit indicates a problem requiring a call to an AC repair service.
Moisture around the unit indicates a cracked or loose condensate hose, which is a relatively simple fix.
If there is a bright-colored pool of fluid around the unit, it indicates a refrigerant leak, which is a serious issue. If there isn’t enough refrigerant in the unit, it won’t produce cold air. If your air conditioner is less than ten years old, an HVAC tech can fix the leak and refill the refrigerant. However, if your air conditioner is over ten years old, you will need to replace the unit.
Older models use R-22 refrigerant, which the EPA deemed toxic and harmful to the environment. On January 1, 2020, the U.S. government banned the production of R-22. The HVAC tech can fix the leak but won’t be able to refill the refrigerant, and you will need to have a new AC installed that uses a different kind of refrigerant.
Why Choose Mr. Reliable Heating & Air?
If your air conditioner isn’t functioning correctly and you want to work with the best AC repair company around, call Mr. Reliable Heating & Air. We ar3e a full-service HVAC company, serving customers in the area for years. Our team of professionally trained, high qualified techs can install, maintain and repair all HVAC equipment. When you call for repair service, our tech will give you an estimate before they begin the work to prevent an unpleasant surprise when it’s time to pay the bill.
Your comfort is our top priority, so we offer emergency service. If your HVAC system experiences an issue that affects your home’s comfort or puts your home and family at risk, we will get a tech to your home as quickly as possible to resolve the problem.
Many of our customers live on budgets, and we have money-saving coupons on our website. You can also get a White Glove membership for $99 a year or $8.25 per month, which comes with a few benefits, including:
- 15 percent off standard pricing
- One free tuneup per year on all AC systems
- One free tuneup on all heat systems
- Priority scheduling
- One-hour appointment windows.
If you need to schedule an appointment with our AC repair company, give us a call.
Photo By Iraidka at Shutterstock