Tips to Save Energy | AC Repair Katy
Summer vacation is an exciting time for family fun, and well-earned relaxation. When vacationing, you deserve to relax, and not worry whether unnecessary energy is wasted. If the air conditioning system has not already received its annual service, schedule it before leaving. That way if a problem is developing, providing AC repair in Katy before your departure will ensure a comfortable home upon your return. The following tips to save energy will prevent unnecessary energy waste while away on vacation.
- A programmable thermostat will assist in preventing unnecessary energy consumption. The thermostat can be set to provide minimal air conditioning during the day to prevent extreme heat from building in the home. Program the thermostat to restore the normal temperature, and a comfortable home for your return.
- Reduce phantom drain by unplugging appliances and electronics that consume standby energy, or phantom drain. Appliances that maintain clocks, settings or other features use standby energy. These typically include televisions, DVD players, game systems, home theatre systems, microwaves, electric stoves, and computers. Unplug them completely, or turn off the power strip.
- The water heater is the home’s second largest consumer or power, and turning it down or completely off makes sense for saving power while you vacation.
- Closing blinds and curtains will prevent heat gain through the windows increasing the interior temperature, and causing the air conditioning to run.
- Turn off unnecessary lighting. Install CFL’s, or LED lights for those that remain on. Consider placing indoor lighting on a timer for an occupied appearance to your home while vacationing.
- Turn off all fans before leaving; fans cool you, and not the room.
- Refrigerator coils can be on the back or beneath the appliance. If it has been a while, provide the coils with a thorough vacuum to ensure the appliance will not overheat and stop chilling. This prevents the need for repair, and saves energy year round.
- Empty the refrigerator of foods that will perish. If your vacation will be a long one, empty the appliance and unplug it, turning off the water to the icemaker. Prop the door open to prevent odors and mold from developing.
- Turn off the water to the washing machine, rather than risk serious damage to the home from a burst hose.
- Have a plumber repair leaky faucets before leaving for vacation. A leaky faucet may turn into a broken faucet and a flood.
- Provide a clean filter for the HVAC system before leaving. A dirty filter will increase energy costs and may result in damage to the system, requiring AC repair in Katy. Remember to use an approved filter for the air conditioner. Damage may occur to systems requiring AC repair in Katy when you insert a non-approved filter.
To receive air conditioning installation, maintenance, or AC repair in Katy contact us for reliable, professional service. Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning’s certified HVAC technicians can provide your heating and air conditioning needs with superior service. Our certified HVAC technicians are trained, experienced and dedicated to providing professional quality installations and AC repair in Katy. We guarantee your satisfaction, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating. We hope you found our tips to save energy useful.