Replacing AC |Air Conditioning Installation
Eventually, any home’s central air conditioner will need to be replaced. As time goes on it will require an increased number of repairs, and will perform poorly and inefficiently. These are all indicators that it may be time to consider replacing the AC with an energy efficient air conditioning installation.
Upgrading the Existing A/C
Upgrading with an energy efficient air conditioning installation offers a number of benefits with increased comfort, reliability and saves on the cost of energy. To ensure the maximum benefits, hire a qualified, licensed HVAC contractor to size and install the air conditioning. Proper installation is essential to performance and the lifespan of the system. The following signs can indicate that it is time to replace a central air conditioner:
- It is greater than 10 years old.
- The cost of keeping your home comfortable continually rises.
- A variance exists in the temperatures between rooms.
- It needs frequent repairs.
- The cost of repairs (including the past two years cost of repair) are half or more of what it would cost to replace the system.
- You want to upgrade to an energy efficient air conditioner.
Types of Central A/C
When replacing the existing central air conditioning, you will need to decide the type of system to install. There are two basic types to select from.
- A split system AC consists of both an indoor and an outdoor component. The condenser and compressor are located in the outdoor component, while the evaporator coil is kept in a cabinet inside the home. The indoor component can also include an electric or gas furnace or heat pump. A ductless mini-split system is similar to a basic split system in that it has an outdoor compressor and condenser, and an indoor air handling unit.
- A packaged system contains all of the components in a single outdoor unit. A packaged system is ideal for homes that lack the indoor space for multiple components. In addition to an air conditioner, a number of packaged systems also contain an electric or gas heating. A heat pump is an additional example of a packaged system.
When replacing an aged split system, the evaporator coil should be replaced with a coil matching the new condensing unit. This is necessary to achieve the efficiency potential of the energy efficient condenser. In fact, using the existing coil, even it would match the replacement system can result in failure of the compressor.
The modern technology in today’s air conditioners can save approximately 20% to 40% in air conditioning energy costs by replacing it with a modern, energy efficient model.
Proper sizing and installation are essential in providing proper operation with the maximum energy efficiency. An oversized unit will not adequately remove humidity causing discomfort. While an undersized unit will not be able to maintain a comfortable temperature on the hottest days, and will experience premature wear from continuous operation. Improper unit location, lack of insulation, and improper duct installation, or ducts in need of repair can also diminish efficiency.
A Cypress Heating and Air Conditioning professional is the best source for additional information on replacing the AC. Our highly trained, and reliable technicians provide superior AC repair, maintenance and air conditioning installation for your home or business in Katy, Plano and the surrounding areas. When you need air conditioning installation contact us for a free estimate. Our experienced technicians provide 24 hour emergency services for your convenience, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.